What I was afraid would happen did.
I purchased two sets of size US0, US1, and US2 KA circular bamboo needles at Now and Zen Yarns on Long Island this summer. On Thursday night I confirmed two of the three sets are worthless. Worthless.
The size 0 and 2's metal connectors snag anything that crosses their path. I've known about the size 2s for a while, but I've never had an occasion to try out the size 0s until last night.
I had planned to begin La Digitessa socks on the plane but I had a feeling I'd have to deal with snagging so I decided to cast on the toes before travelling in case I had any problems. This is not something I wanted to deal with at 30,000 feet.
My hunch was on the mark. What do people do when they buy defective needles? It's not like I can return them to the store, I wont be down in that area until next summer at the earliest. A helpful booth owner at Rhinebeck implored me to contact the manufacturer directly, but I think I'm too lazy for that. Then again, this is $24 down the drain. I guess I'll just think on this another day. For now, let me get back to how I dealt with the problem.
I know I could have gone with Yarnissima's short row toe using dpns but I don't really like the wrap and turn technique nor do I like having to pick up provisional stitches, which her short row toe requires. I like the magic cast on toe a lot and that's how I wanted to proceed.
On my first attempt I decided to switch to the size 1s once the snagging became apparent. After seven or eight rows, though, I reconsidered this plan. I didn't want to work the pattern on size 1s, I wanted to knit it on 0s. I next tried using four dpns, but this totally didn't work for me. I had to abandon this plan after half of a row. My final solution was a hybrid. I settled on the snagging circulars for the first three rows after which I introduced the dpns. This did the trick.
Two toes done. Yeah!