Skip to main content

Retrospective

I have been musing over two things lately: My sock yarn appetite and my sock production. I'm a little bit amazed that I've knit 11 socks this calendar year.

socks2008 mosaic
1. mosaicfiller, 2. Town Meeting Socks mistake heel, 3. Sarah's Socks, 4. Embossed Leaf Sock, 5. Dad's 70th Socks, 6. Herbed Carrots, 7. Digitessa Too, 8. La Digitessa Socks, 9. Blue Wavering, 10. Christmas Balls Socks, 11. Cornucopia, 12. Seal Rock Socks

What do I see when I reflect back on all these socks? Memory is a funny thing, and the thoughts and feelings associated with each of these socks are no exception.

#12 Seal Rock Socks: I remember navigating the airport on my Christmas trip to Arizona with sock in hand. I remember a full, dull ache of homesickness while riding in the car on the way home after watching Sweeney Todd with my sister and her family.

#11 Cornucopia: I remember all the doubts I had on whether my Aunty Patty would love the colorway as much as I did. I also remember the crunch of ice under my feet as I photographed the socks out on the lawn.

#10 Christmas Balls Socks: I remember begrudging every time the steel grey section of this colorway came up while knitting and how dense the sock fabric was with the size O needles.

#9 Blue Wavering: I remember what a cutie patootie ham hubby was when he modeled these socks for me.

#8 La Digitessa: I remember thinking I'd never finish these socks. The yarn was not only splitty, but fluffy. A truly terrible combination of factors to tackle when learning how to cable without a needle, but learn I did.

#7 La Digitessa Too: I remember thinking I must be nuts because I was dying to knit this pattern a second time right after finishing the first. Once I got over that, I was keenly proud of myself. The first pair didn't get the better of me.

#6 Herbed Carrots: The orange and greens peppered throughout this colorway still make my mouth water. Very odd thing indeed. The colors evoke the metallic tangy flavoring of these vegetable flavored butter crackers I ate once or twice as a kid. Such a weird association.

The most important memory I take away from these socks is the notion that just because you can knit something doesn't mean you should. For example just because it is physically possible to knit a picot trim on a toe up sock doesn't mean it will be worth the effort when you do. Picot edges are better left to a cast-on cuff, rather than a bind-off cuff.

#5 Midnight Derby/Dad's 70th socks: I remember the clicking of my needles as I knit. I also remember sitting and knitting these while resting my sore feet at the Brimfield antique and collectibles fair. The smell of fried foods filled the air.

#4 Embossed Leaf Sock: I remember the powerful urge I felt in casting these socks on. I was not successful in fighting it. I am pretty sure this was the first time I had three socks projects on my needles at one time.

#3 Downpour Boot Socks: I finished these so recently, my memories are all budgied up. Maybe I'll remember my long lost friend asking me if these were my feet in these photo, as she felt she could recognize them anywhere. Considering she hasn't seen my feet in 25 years, the hyperbole was endearing.

#2 Town Meeting Socks: These, too, being recent, I am not sure which memories will stick while others fade. I remember the booth at the Vermont Sheep & Wool festival where I bought the yarn and I remember casting them on to help me get through our fall Town Meeting. The meeting was far longer and far more insufferable than I had expected. These socks kept me focused.

Comments

peaknits said…
What a great collection of socks and and even better collection of memories!
Unknown said…
Well done you! That's a great mosaic of socks!