My mind's been laid up for a few weeks. Two days after my last post I succumbed to a full week with the flu (again!). This time it ended with a nasty mental diversion à la The Yellow Wallpaper.
The idea of conversing with the world, even in the one-way medium of a blog, was anathema. Knitting was rare. Yet, my return to knitting was hindered not just by depression, I think, but a lack of motivation. It wasn't until I realized I should get cracking on some baby knits for a little bun in the oven of my husband's best friend's wife, that I was inspired to cast on and cast on with a vengeance. And so the daily knitting routine reasserted itself to much personal glee.
In retrospect, my exclamation a few weeks back about streamlining my gift knitting was short-sighted. The bad choices I made in allowing the gift knitting to take over last fall was reinterpreted falsely. I am propelled, as a knitter, by gift knitting. Giving it up dried up my motivation to knit for myself. I just need to keep things in moderation. Moderation is always where I fail. But knowing the accurate source of the problem means I can combat it better when it crops up again.
Which it might because my new projects are three. But before starting in on them, I want to note that I still have one pre 2009 project left, my Log Cabin Afghan:
It's getting there slowly but surely, but there's only so much garter stitch this knitter can take. I had a good run with it in February, but then I hit a saturation point. Afghan's have never been do or die knitting for me, whereas a sock or a sweater on the needles for seven months would be eating away at me. It's best this project remains in time out for a while.
So, when I finally allowed myself to cast on something new, something for myself, I was at a dead end. After failing to get something cast on with my Wollmeise stash, it took very little to be inspired by one of the gorgeous sock yarns I picked at the end of my January yarn binge. This is Woolen Rabbit's Harmony Sock in the Waterloo colorway.
I think it makes the perfect Embossed Leaf Sock!
At two weeks I only had 3/4 of sock to show for myself. Contrast that yardage to the past week and a half. I finished the first sock, knit 1/3 of the second leg, and made inroads on two new projects.
Using the excessive leftover Dalegarn Baby Ull I've had in my stash from the Yellow Toot project last year, I'm attempting my second EZ EPS inspired raglan bottom up sweater. I'm reusing the fair isle ribbon motifs from Yellow Toot, but taking inspiration from the color blocking of the Dream in Color Tulip Sweater.
This colorway is a lovely dusty brick red with olive and tan overtones. It is surprisingly similar to Gold Hill colorway of the cable rib socks I finished up last month.
Well, I think it is time for me to move on for the day. The unblogged FOs are piling up. I think I'll touch on those next.