Skip to main content

Life's carriage...

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The Carriage held but just Ourselves
And Immortality. ~ Emily Dickinson

This is the thought that came to me as I opened the "new post" window. My muse speaks and I never understand her. 'S okay. I'm used to it.

Escape to Russet Moon Mountain socks

I am growing more and more devoted each day to giving her free reign. Or, should I say, my capacity for indulging her is growing each and every day? Some days she takes on mythic proportions. Other days? Notsomuch.

There was a bit of a lull in knitting at chez yarn. 'S okay, too. I'm listening to my inner knitter agitate over the fact I haven't had an FO in forever and I've cast on a new project. She can suck an egg. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Wow, there's a tone change.

Escape to Russet Moon Mountain socks

This project, another pair of Waving Lace socks with Sundara sock yarn, has been given the frothy name "Escape to Russet Moon Mountain." (If you're into Twilight snark, take a gander at Russet Moon on Fandom Wank. This is some of the stuff that sustained me when it got really dark last year.)

Something extraordinary has happened, which is absolutely ordinary for everyone else. Lady M has gotten herself her very first laptop. Oh yeah, welcome to 2010. Laptops, the wave of the future. I'm a real intrepid sort, aren't I?

I know everyone stopped being excited over laptops 15 years ago, but I never knew how happy it would make me to have my very own computer all to myself. Aside from the growing pains of learning Windows 7, it's is just fantabulous to have my own electronic space.

And yes, I'm haughty enough to be taking comfort in the fact that the tortoise wins the race. No modesty at chez yarn this bright and shining morn. Sasha Fierce is in 'da house.

So the new project? A laptop condom in this lovely shade of cloud blue.

cascade soft spun

I'm winging it. Again. Knitting with two strands of this Cascade Soft Spun on size 10 1/2 needles, I used Judy's magic cast on and cast on 110 stitches, 55 on each needle. I knit even one row, then made one increase on each needle end every other row, twice, for a total of 57 stitches on each needle, 114 total.

I introduced a pair of simple cables on each end, which tightened the project up some. I also intend on felting the FO. I'm about 1/4 of the way in.