Skip to main content

The Jewels of the World...

ESE_0243b

In the flush of first love my husband told me he would bring me the jewels of the world. He's fabulously corny like that. He means it from the depths of his unironic, romantic soul. Of course, I'm a cynic. I smiled at him, most likely batting my eyes, and thought to myself, oh yeah, I'll hold my breath for that. Not.

Other than requiring a big fat engagement ring to satisfy the poor girl chip on my shoulder, I have very little interest in jewels or jewelry. This weekend, though, I realized that my husband has been keeping his word.

The skein of yarn above is Sundara sock in the Candle to the Sun colorway. (I'm not sure if it was a limited edition or one-off colorway). When I was sick a few weeks ago, my hunny offered to buy me yarn to help me feel better. This skein was one of three colorways I purchased under this directive.

Almost all the yarn I've been stashing lately has been purchased by the hubster. Who knew when he promised me the jewels of the world that the jewels would come in the form of squishy, superwash merino goodness from the goddesses of yarn, Sundara and Madtosh. The two dyers were probably in diapers when he made that promise. Okay, so I exaggerate, but still.

And if there is a God, he or she is definitely looking over my shoulder because that lovely skein of yarn is sitting right on top of that Jane text that threw me for a loop. Look at the pic closely, the bottom right hand corner of the picture. I hadn't yet realized how these words shocked my system when I took that picture a week and a half ago.

I still haven't picked up Mansfield Park again. Too many undefined thoughts still stewing about in my subconscious. I spent time yesterday on Librivox listening to Wharton's minor novel, Custom of the Country.

I read this book twice, back to back, a few years ago. There was something so irresistible about it, but I was a little ashamed of my taste. It is only a minor work. I had no confidence in my taste then. This is changing. It may not be a major work, but it is a very tasty, tasty morsel, with it's own set of superlative charms.