Skip to main content

For those about to rock - we salute you.

Leaf on the Wind

I finished my eighth(!) Shetland Triangle this weekend. No, that picture above is not the Shetland Triangle.

I don't have any recent pictures. I'm not motivated to take pictures of anything lately, even the record number of yarn skeins I wound into cakes on Saturday. Instead of bemoaning my creative paucity, I've decided to fill in the blanks with an unblogged project from last year's deadspot.

Last spring I knit a lovely Serenity baby blanket for my husband's best friend's first child, a baby girl. Did I mention this is a free pattern? It is a free pattern, and from the charts at least, an error free, free pattern.


Leaf on the Wind


I really enjoyed knitting this project. And the reason's why are, what? What did I like about this project? Do I even know? Hmmm.

1) The lace was challenging but not fussy.

2) The occasional cabling was easy, and eye pleasing.

3) The yarn is Dream in Color's Classy, in the Chinatown Apple colorway. I took a big gamble on this yarn and it payed off. DIC Classy is a lofty, worsted weight yarn that is kettle dyed. A knitter should expect variation in each skein; there are no dye lots. If you love color with dimension, rather than a flat, single hued yarn, DIC has much to offer.

I used four of the five skeins I bought. I opened each skein, compared the tones, and numbered them. The fifth skein was the only to differ significantly in color and luckily it wasn't needed.

The superwash merino yarn, itself, is not spun as some luxury yarns are in this price range. It's a commercial spin, with a commercial worsted touch. After washing it's soft as can be air dried. I gather from Ravelry, that it's even softer if you throw it in the dryer.


Leaf on the Wind


I didn't see the record growth some raveller's have with this yarn, but that may be because this is a lace pattern and subject to significant growth to begin with.

I remember this project so fondly, that I kinda want to knit one for myself. Now's not the time though. I already have one high maintenance project on the needles, a second one would just set me up for some full time disapprobation.

I'm more content to reknit favorite patterns these days. Saturday evening I started an Ishbel with my one and only skein of Sundara's fingering merino cashmere:


Sundara FMC