Skip to main content

Two Months, Schmunths

I've been thinking about you blog. My SHE did take Best in Show at the Topsfield Fair on September 30th. My love of this project and the handy capture of the ribbon has left me querulous. Where is my knitting heading?


IMAG0019a

IMAG0027


(Isn't that A Really Pretty Ribbon! Squee!)


Where do I want to take my knitting? I need something more than what I have. Last week my instincts were made flesh and shall be known henceforth as the Great Fall 2011 Knitting Purge. I definitively retired six projects.

Project Eins (1) ~ Flowers in the Attic

ESE_2467c

A lovely stranded Sundara sock knit. I really loved how the corrugated ribbing looked, but for the main pattern, a grunted "eh" sums up all subsequent emotions.

Project Zwei (2) ~ Summer Quilt Scarf

ESE_2094

This project was inspired by a lovely antique quilt I have. I spent the summer pondering a way to translate my love of simple, early American quilts into a knitted form. Then the viral success of the Beekeeper's Quilt scared me something silly. I won't be knitting thousands of sock yarn hexagons, but dog bless those poor souls unable resist its siren's call.

For the record the two squares I did knit together were left intact and stored with love in my ever growing swatch bag.

Project Drei (3) ~ Steel Blue and Black

ESE_0764c


Another sock yarn project, using Sundara and Madelinetosh. I may have finished this one day, but the urge to purge knew no bounds, so off the needles it went. The respective yarns were recaked and returned to the yarn closet.


Project Vier (4)~ I am

ESE_1091d

This was my first go at the Rambling Rows afghan. The Knit Picks city tweed yarn was a lovely choice for the project. Unfortunately, when I got about 40% done with the pattern it became painfully obvious I was knitting a table covering, not a lap blanket. I had a hard time letting go, but nothing much was escaping the Great Fall 2011 Knitting Purge.

I only frogged the last tiny section I was working on. The remainder found its way into the swatch bin.

Project Funf (5)~ Ropes and Grey Cardigan

ESE_2475c

This was my first attempt at a real sweater pattern after a longstanding self-imposed hiatus, the Ropes and Picot Cardigan. I wasn't loving my gauge with this tweedy yarn. I'll revisit this pattern some day I think. Some very far away day.

The yarn was recaked and stored away.

Project Sechs (6)~ No name, my first Neibling

CRX_6138b

This, my first Herbert Neibling pattern, was doomed by yarn choice. The pattern is a doily, a doily to be knit with cotton thread. I don't knit with cotton anymore, much less cotton thread. I used a merino lace weight, some Knit Picks Bare lace my dad's wife gave me for Christmas a few years back.

Once again, I received confirmation that merino lace weight yarn isn't my game. The pattern is only 300 yards, so I thought I just might stick it out. Nein, the whirlwind force of the Great Fall 2011 Knitting Purge took its sixth victim.

I expect two more WIPS will fall to the purge urge. This will give me a near clean slate to entertain my new knitting urges, one of which is embarking on TKGA's Master Knitting Program.

That and a few other things...