Skip to main content

The Sheltering Bough

I'm working on a hybrid shawl pattern that has the shape of Ysolda's Ishbel (which grows wider at a faster pace than it grows deep) and the easy, soothing fir cone motif that makes Evelyn Clark's Shetland Triangle such a fun knit. The pattern has been appropriately named The Sheltering Bough.

I'm using Madelinetosh's madtosh DK yarn in Badlands:

ESE_4221B


I tried first using some of that new DIC cashmere smooshy I recently picked up but once I got to the lace section the fabric's touch didn't feel right. (Now that'll be a lot of knitting to frog, but) I'm glad I found the guts to abandon it and go with the madtosh DK.

This is a colorway I never would have purchased online. It's charms only became apparent to me when I looked at the skein in person, up close.

ESE_4874c

ESE_4851aa


The color is very reminiscent of her Cove colorway. The blues in the Cove are still there but of a much deeper hue. As well, the blue is a foil for the numerous shades of umber. The inverse of Cove:

Long Beach Scarf
Long Beach Scarf in madosh DK colorway Cove (lighter set of skeins)


ESE_0018b
Olive Sands raglan sweater in madtosh DK colorway Cove (darker set of skeins)


Maybe, just maybe I'll be done with this this weekend. Maybe.