Skip to main content

Color, color, and more color. And then more color.


My current knitting is all about color. Case in point, my Blackberry Julip (aka, Stephen West's Spectra)(both are ravelry links):

ESE_7057c

Yarn
Madelinetosh - Tosh DK - Venetian colorway
Noro - Silk Garden Light - #2050 colorway

Yardage
Total: apx 731
Tosh DK, 510
Noro, 220

Needle
US5, 3.75mm

Overall Feeling on Project
Meh.

ESE_7055b

It was easy to fall in love with this project. The interplay of structure, texture, and color is fabulously dynamic. I saw, I wanted, I knit. It never dawned on me the final project would be nearly unwearable. But it is.

The outcome may be due to my use of DK/light worsted weight yarns. The original design calls for fingering weight yarn. Yet, my gut tells me no. The short row shaping creates a clingy, swirling structure that performs like a boa constrictor around one's neck. So, no, the yarn choice doesn't help, but the structure is the main problem.

 
ESE_7035b

I won't be knitting this pattern again, in any weight. I have however co-opted the color and texture theme with a straight scarf structure. It has all of the charm and color goodness and with none of the choking hazards. So, win win.