Skip to main content

Consistency...

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my biggest pet peeves is inconsistency. Although there is little to compare the roar of a stormy ocean when bored you are, in daily life I crave the waters of a calm crick buffered by woods. Ralphie boy belittles foolish consistency, but I can't stop myself from taking offense as if he snubs all forms.

Case in point, I've really been proud of my recent FO record. I attribute my productivity to a slavish single WIP policy. Since my proclamation of pride yesterday my resolve has lost all shape, like a sandcastle that has met it's first wave.

This inability to remain consistent pisses me off. Luckily looking at yarn helps.


ESE_3270c

madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light in Faded Chinos


I'm rounding the bend on a pair of fingerless mitts and my mind just wants to cast on five zillion things before I finish them off. So no more calm, no more perfection, I am succumb to chaos and gluttony and self-recrimination.

I really take my knitting seriously. Really seriously. I'm okay with taking it seriously. But I'm not okay with the recriminations. How do turn my disrepair into something good? I think I just have to say fuck it and cast on willy nilly, with abandon, with gusto.

So what do I want?

I want to knit a large shawl with a worsted weight yarn. Exactly one month go I finished a large Ishbel in my second favoritest new yarn, Brooklyn Tweed's Shelter:

ESE_4206b
colorway Almanac


This has become my most favorite shawl ever. The size and shape create the perfect drape. It has a wingspan of a whopping 91" and is only 31" deep. The tweedy yarn is a pleasure to contemplate. It's worsted heft keeps me warm and brings me comfort.

I want a hundred of these, but as it's my fifth Ishbel, I'm kinda a bit over the pattern. I also don't have the money to buy more Shelter, and even if I did I'm really in the mood for a softer, smoother touch for my next worsted shawl project. The yarn I'm trying to settle on is:

CRX_0908b
Madtosh DK in Burnished


(This is not a DK weight yarn by any means.) This yarn has been burning a hole in my stash for some time. I knit 2/3 of a sweater with it that fell to the great Fall Purge 2011. I think it would make a lovely shawl.

In lieu of my great love of the Ishbel pattern's half circle shape, I have been trying my damnedest to recreate the same with other lace motifs. I don't have pictures of my latest attempt using the fir cone motif, and I'm not entirely sure it'll work, but my gut is telling me to throw caution to the wind and just knit it. What harm could there be? I can always frog it.

When I say the yarn I'm trying to settle on above, what my problem really is is that I'm dying to knit some of the sport weight cashmere blends I've been stashing lately. Like this yarn:

ESE_4464d
DIC Smooshy with Casmere, Evening Flame colorway


My photo doesn't do it Justice (yes, with a capital J). This yarn is beckoning me. As is a desire to do a little colorwork. Neither this yarn, nor the colorwork has presented itself as a whole idea. I'm just itching to knit.

So, I think it's time to bid adieu and go figure out how to make my messy muse happy...