Skip to main content

All about the gifts...

It's been a roller coaster week. The good news is that it seems to be ending on a sweeter note than it began.

I'm working on gift knitting, mostly. I expect to knit at least three pair of socks and one dishcloth for Christmas gifts. I would prefer if I could up the sock ante by two and the dishcloth ante by three, but I refuse to set myself up to fail. As long as I get the former amount done, any part of the latter finished will be gray-vay.

So far I have one pair done:


Sunday Ribalib

And a second pair on the needles (progress is from the weekend):


flinstone rib

Both are knit in heavyweight STR and knit up faster than one could say supercalifragilisticispyalidocious. Seriously, in the time it took you to read that word, I nearly completed one sock.

The past two weeks have been spent working on a hat and mitt set for the deserving husbeast. We celebrated our 10 year anniversary a little over a month ago and I thought I'd knit him a hat and mitt set in heavenly Sundara ASM to show my appreciation for all his support this year.

I picked up two awesomesauce skeins of the ASM in the colorway "Between Dusk and Dawn" in September. I wasn't too thrilled with the color for myself, but as soon as I visualized using it for the husbeast, the color became an instant fave.


Between Dusk and Dawn

So, I promptly knit my first Koolhaas, or as I like to call it, a Cool Haas Luke.


Cool Haas Luke

I began the mitts with the second skein on the way up to the Vermont Sheep and Wool festival. Somewhere between a diner in Quechee, VT and home in Massachusetts, the project bag went missing. I spent about 4 hours obsessing about what had become of it and how to get it back. All roads seemed like too much work, with little chance of success, so I decided to quit while I was ahead and just move on.

And really, surprisingly, I did move on, and with much more ease than I expected. As if the universe wanted to reinforce the notion the project had bad juju, the hat, once washed and blocked, fit neither my husband nor me.

The only sting the loss of the project left is the missing pair of US5 Knit Picks 16" circular needles. I really miss them. After playing foot loose and fancy free with the moolah in August and September, resulting in me having to rearange my stash closet, and co-opt the guest bed closet, because I ran out of room to house my zillion skeins of yarn, I decided to impose a spending diet. Sadly this has to include needles because buying one pair of needles from Knitpicks is not cost effective. I would pay as much in shipping as the needles cost and they would take 10 days to get to me.

A few weeks later I'm was impelled to begin the project anew. One sunny Sunday I head down to my favorite LYS, Butterfly Yarns, and picked up a few skeins of some more durable, more husbeast friendly, Cascade 220. Stealing inspiration from Anne Hanson's Hot Waffles I made one hubby very very happy.


Pumpkin Waffle knitting
Pumpkin Waffle knitting

My husband has the most beautiful nose.