Skip to main content

It felt good to get out of the rain...

ESE_0451b

I don't know about the rest of the raglan sweater knitters out there, but when I knit a top down sweater, there is always a lull in the knitting when I get near the point at which a) I want to take the armholes off the needles or b) the armholes need to be removed from the needles.

After stewing in my knit bin for a month, I finally got up the chutzpah to go forward, knitting a few more rows before taking the arms off. After that the knitting has been full steam ahead.

I love this Madtosh DK colorway, Terrarium - even more than I love her DK colorway, Cove.

ESE_0434b

The yarn itself has a wonderful, plushy texture, preferable to Sundara's much sturdier, more tightly spun, sport weight. But for colors both companies have stolen equal parts of my heart.

Even though Neil Young is heading into the desert (on a horse with no name) when he sings "It felt good to get out of the rain...," the phrase has married itself to this project. The colorway name, Terrarium, reached into the creaky corners of my memory, to one of the short stories showcased in the Ray Bradbury Illustrated Man movie, The Long Rain. A few astronauts are stranded in a jungle on Venus in a constant rain. It drives them batty as they seek the refuge of a sun dome.

Instead of the 3/4 sleeve of the original Tea Leaves Cardigan pattern, I think I'm going to go with a puffed short sleeve. All I have to do is figure out how to knit a puffed sleeve.